The current economic situation and the lack of adequate resources in Liberia as a result of the civil conflict have left the country in an unstable state. Over 95% of children in Liberia, especially orphans and underprivileged children of school age, lack basic needs to survive as a child. The majority of the population lives on 2 U.S. dollars a day, which makes it difficult for parents to provide for their children adequately. According to UNICEF, early childhood development is almost non-existent in Liberia (https://data.unicef.org/country/lbr/). H.E.A.L. Inc.’s mantra is We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves, so we had to take a stand in helping to transform lives one child at a time.
H.E.A.L. CARES is a program developed to provide basic necessities, safe drinking water, and a conducive environment to orphanages in dire needs.
WHO BENEFITS FROM THIS PROGRAM?
The orphanages, underprivileged children, and the communities we serve.
H.E.A.L. Inc. partners with organization that focuses on orphanages and underprivileged children outside the capital city, Monrovia. Through a stringent assessment process, and in collaboration with these organizations, we select orphanages that are in deplorable condition and are in dire need of assistance. When an orphanage is selected, H.E.A.L. Inc. implements projects based on the orphanage’s needs.
WHAT RESOURCES ARE PROVIDED TO A SELECTED ORPHANAGE?
- Building Renovation
- Hand pump, if safe drinking water is not available
- Basic necessities (food, clothing, footwear, and hygiene products).
- Restroom if not available or renovate if in deplorable condition
- Beds and mattresses
- A functional kitchen or renovate the kitchen (if applicable)
A Memorandum of Understanding is signed between H.E.A.L Inc and the organizations. The projects will then be managed and implemented by H.E.A.L Inc., Liberia (Project Management Team in Liberia), with instructions and guidance from H.E.A.L Inc.
- An assessment will be implemented using physical inspection of facilities, and a completed questionnaire to be forwarded to H.E.A.L Inc. for review and approval.
- H.E.A.L Inc. will make the final decision on the orphanage(s) to be selected for the annual project.
- H.E.A.L Inc., Liberia will monitor, implement, evaluate activities, and report to H.E.A.L Inc.