The lack of adequate education for the underprivileged and deprived communities has led to many devastating effects to these communities, especially in Liberia, West Africa. Our primary focus is building learning centers that provide access to a library, science laboratory, mentoring and tutoring service in communities that have inadequate or no resources essential for learning. This initiative will be piloted in Liberia, West Africa with a long-term vision to build a center in Atlanta, Georgia to support children who dropped out of high school and are also in the juvenile system. Our areas of engagement will be:
- character building
- Career Education
- Community Service
According to the Georgia’s Department of Education:
- 38% of school that are considered “dropout factories account for 50% of children that leave school every year.
- The graduation rate was only at about 59% and increased by 12% to 71.5% in 2015; but with even lower number in under-served communities.
- High school dropouts in the United States earn $200,000 less than a high school graduate over their lifetime, and almost a million dollars less than a college graduate.
- 75% of crimes committed in the United States are by high school dropouts.
Just so you know, a 14-year civil war devastated the school system in Liberia and as a result;
- A staggering 51% of primary and secondary school-age children, majority of whom are girls, were left without schools.
- As of today, one in every six adults in Liberia is illiterate.
- 95% percent of students in Liberia never saw a computer or have books or learning materials to progress through school.
These numbers are staggering, and H.E.A.L has to play a vital role in the fight to alleviating these astounding numbers. Please join us and support our initiative to fight illiteracy.
- Initiate H.E.A.L Educates pilot project by constructing a 15-room school that will house our first learning center at the Liberian Christian Orphanage
- Initiate a student career awareness annual workshop to assist high school students with college and career preparation in Atlanta, Georgia